Patch day today. Looks like they've nerfed the Terran Thors a bit. Nuts.
A coworker buddy of mine from another team at work jumped online and we played a few matches. This was our first time playing so the pressure was really on. It was time to put up and represent my team. After the first dozen or so games I've played this week, I decided it was time to stop hitting "random" as my race and start paying attention to one race in particular. Tonight, I chose Zerg. He chose Terran. And I learned a couple of things.
In our first game, I was slow about building things. A couple of hellions nearly took out my drones. I used the power of kiting to make the hellions chase some drones away from my base and into another while my batch of 8 hydralisks were spawning. 8 from one hatchery, all simultaneous. I'm not really sure how I did it. I guess larva keep spawning for awhile or something? I had told a Birth Queen to make the hatchery spawn extra larva, but I had no idea that I could get 8 unhatched larva at one hatchery. Those hydras ate the Hellions and then proceeded to eat his base. Lesson: Don't wait quite so long to put up any defenses at all. I won that game by the skin of my teeth b/c I'd started the lisks just before the Hellions showed.
Game 2: Let's see how a zergling rush works. The concept is simple, I built a spawning pool quickly, then an overlord and zlings as fast as they could come out. I set my rally point to halfway across the map, and as soon as 6 lings made it there, I sent them into his base. They found a barracks, one reaper, a tech lab, and otherwise undefended SCV's. They would have been able to fend off the 6 zlings, but I had another 8 stockpiled in the middle of the map and those were enough to seal the deal.
Game 3: Let's see if a hydralisk drop would work. I started making hydras like our first game, but put up a few lings and ground turrets (called crawlers or something) to have something to stand on if units arrived on my doorstep. He kept destroying my expansion attempts, which was disappointing, and I didn't quite have enough gas to stand up to him until about my 3rd group of 6 to 12 hydralisks. By then, I had been winning the attrition war and I think what it came down to is his build order. He wasn't making many workers early on, so he was short on material to replace what he lost. I had practically won before the hydras made it to their drop point, just from the stalemate attrition fights while building up to The Drop. When the drop came, even if I hadn't been ahead by a bit it seemed like it very well could have swung the game for me.
Game 4: Roaches can only attack ground units. A dozen mutalisks is pretty good against a Thor and a dozen marines. It takes them a lot longer to destroy a command center than a half dozen void rays, though.
I'll play some more Zerg for awhile and start to refine & remember actual build orders. There's still a bunch of Zerg units that I don't really know how to use either. I don't know much but their stats. I remember being disappointed by the fragility of an Ultralisk earlier in the week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment